Thursday, May 29, 2008

End of the school year

What a crazy year! Well summer time is here and I am full of joy and happiness. The end of the school year is only a couple days away and I am ready o be done with it. I have loved what I am doing but there is so much paperwork at the end that well I am not happy about that.
I have been working as a resource teacher since Christmas, this was my first teaching job and it has helped me to grow as a person and as a teacher. I was put into a class with no rules or boundaries, so I was thrown into the lions den. But I have kept my head out of their mouths and was able to get by. I have had to learn how to write Individual Education Plans (for those who are teachers, IEP) and well I had a few struggles at the beginning but I have come out on top with good work and excellent timing. I have done an IEP before, but really only as a witness not as the "Interpreter of Results" I never signed under the "Special Education Teacher." I am happy to say I am not longer an IEP virgin, so if you need help let me know ;)
I also had my challenges with taking over for a teacher who did not have a special education degree, she did not do paperwork or hold meetings, so of course this was all thrown at me. She also did not have any firm procedures or regulations to follow along with. She was not going along with the curriculum of the other grade level teachers and well was just doing what she wanted to do. So I came in with rules and procedures, and to tell you the truth the hardest part was when a student said, "Mrs. B didn't do it that way, or Mrs. B didn't give us this much homework" I felt evil and not the good guy, but after the first month they were more used to my ways and they began to enjoy learning with out even knowing.
I have had to deal with parents saying, "your the reason my daughter is sick." Did you get that, good I didn't either, my principal just said not to worry the mother just thinks her daughter does no wrong and is the perfect angel. Well I know different at school.

Ok now that I have explained a little about that, I just got a call though offering me a first grade position! I am so excited and can't wait to be able to get my feet wet in something else. I am always up for a challenge and ready to try anything. Well when it comes to teaching.
I will keep you updated on anything else.
Ta ta for now.

1 comment:

Mrs. Burch said...

at what school!??!? at what school.!?!?!?

PV!?!?

KB